Thursday, 16 April 2015
Thursday, 26 March 2015
Latest genetic tests reveal another break in the male line, potentially undermining the legitimacy of the entire House of Plantagenet
When scientists revealed last year that an adulterous affair had apparently broken the male line in Richard III’s family tree, they vowed to investigate further.
But rather than clear up the mystery, their latest genetic tests have uncovered evidence of another royal sex scandal. This time, the indiscretion could potentially undermine the legitimacy of the entire House of Plantagenet.
The skeleton of Richard III, the last Plantagenet king, was discovered under a car park in Leicester in 2012. His identity was confirmed through his mitochondrial DNA, passed down through the maternal line from his sister to two relatives alive today.
But further DNA tests soon uncovered evidence of a family secret. It emerged when researchers at Leicester University compared the Y chromosomes of Richard III and five anonymous male relatives of Henry Somerset (1744-1803), who claim descent from Edward III, the great great grandfather of Richard III.Read the rest of this article...
Monday, 23 March 2015
The last time Richard III was at Bosworth Field the outcome proved less than satisfactory for the King.
The battle, which was the last significant skirmish in the War of the Roses, saw Richard not only lose the English throne but also his life.
According to contemporaneous accounts, the dead monarch was stripped naked, slung over a horse and led back to Leicester, his skull banging against Bow Bridge as it was brought into the city. He was the last English king to die in battle.
Today Richard will have a more dignified entrance to Leicester when his body returns in ceremony within a custom-made coffin, borne on a gun carriage.
Monday, 23 February 2015
A lead ball found at a medieval battle site could be the oldest surviving cannonball in England, an expert says.
The lead cannon ball is believed to have bounced at least twice and possibly hit a tree [Credit: Northampton Battlefield Society]
The damaged ball was found at the site of the Battle of Northampton fought during the War of the Roses.
Medieval artillery expert Dr Glenn Foard said: "It is highly likely the projectile was fired during the battle [10 July 1460]."
It will be revealed to the public at a Northampton hotel in Eagle Drive close to the battlefield on Thursday night.
New film footage revealing for the first time details of the potential killer blow that claimed the life of King Richard III has been released by the University of Leicester.
The sequence - showing the dramatic injury to the base of the skull as well as the inside of the top of the skull - is part of a package of films charting the scientific and archaeological investigations led by the project team from the University of Leicester.
It is among 26 sequences taken by University video producer Carl Vivian who is chronicling the key events in the Discovery, Science and Reburial of the last Plantagenet king. These sequences are accessible to the media by contacting Carl Vivian (details below).Read the rest of this article...
Dans le cadre de l'aménagement de la place de la mairie de Viarmes, une fouille archéologique a été prescrite en 2013. Les fouilles ont permis de mieux comprendre l'origine du centre ancien de Viarmes en révélant les vestiges oubliés d'un château médiéval et d'un manoir seigneurial détruit au XIVe siècle.
Read the rest of this article...